Piece written & photos taken by Ciara de Klein
We wanted to see the number difference of the worms in the marshy soil compared to normal soil.
First we went out to the field and dug a hole in a dry area where the wetland didn’t spread last year. We took some soil from the hole and put it in a green tub.
Next we moved a few metres closer to the wetland and dug a second hole. We took some soil from that hole and filled another green tub that was the same size as the first tub.
We dug the final hole on the edge of the wetland and filled another green tub the soil from the third hole. We also dug further down and found some clay which was grey/light brown in colour.
What we expected to find: We expected to find a greater number of worms in the tub with the soil from the first hole as it is higher than the wetland and dry. We also expected to find little to no worms in the tub with the soil from the last hole.
Results: We sifted through the soil from the tubs and found that the soil from the first hole contained six worms, the soil from the second hole contained zero worms and the soil from the last hole also contained zero worms.
Conclusion: The wetland has had a negative effect on the number of worms in the wetland area as we found no worms in the two holes close to the water. This will affect the plants and animals in the area as worms are good for the soil.