Welcome to our new site! We hope to use this blog to track changes in our seasonal wetland in the Bishop’s Field during the 2016/17 school year.
A quest to measure, map and log data on Bishop's Field wetland which is adjacent the school.
How the project came about...
For the past few years we have noticed that a large low-lying area of the Bishop’s Field has flooded each year during the wettest months, usually December to March. We believe this area can now be classified a seasonal wetland with differences in flora and fauna.
This year we hope to look more closely at the formation of this wetland by…
- mapping the relief of the land
- measuring and logging the depth of the water (weekly)
- measuring the area of the wetland by grid system & aerial photos (monthly)
- correlating weather variables (rainfall, wind strength, temperature) with changes in the wetland.
- looking at what factors have contributed to the formation of the wetland in recent years – has rainfall increased during winter months? Are there other factors in the local human environment which have contributed to the appearance of this wetland?
- recording changes in flora and fauna due to the wetland
We are always mindful of how lucky we are to live in such a beautiful area as Corbally. The appearance of this wetland is another addition to the many varied habitats that we have in the vicinity of the school.
The Bishop's Field is a part wooded open green area in the suburban area of Corbally, situated between Scoil Íde Primary School and St. Munchin's College secondary school. It slopes gently from west to east where it flattens out to a slight depression. Part of the Bishop's Field is used by the primary school for rugby, G.A.A. and athletics. The wooded area is visited frequently by classes on nature field trips.
The beginning of Science is observation.
Every year the children practise using data from our weather station (http://skylink-pro.com/remote-index-sitemap.php?domainname=scoilide.ie&keyword=corbally)
to graph weather patterns and build a habit of observing weather data everyday.
Bio-diversity in Scoil Íde
Have a look at an iBook published in 2014 to record the species of flora and fauna around the school grounds. Available for free in the iBooks store